The construction of Nelson Mandela Bridge at El Prat del Llobregat, Barcelona, has been finished in February 2015. The bridge is placed very close to the Llobregat river mouth and plays a key role in connecting Barcelona’s commercial port with El Prat airport and important industrial park of the metropolitan area.
The bridge outstands among the other bridges of the Catalan region, it’s the longest arch with a main span of 150 m. The total length of the bridge is 304 m and the deck width is 29 m. But the singular point is the structural scheme, a combination of frame and half-through arch.
- Structural type: Concrete arch and prestessed deck
- Total length: 304 m
- Wide: 29 m
- Major span: 150 m
- Other: Self compacting concrete of 70 MPa.
- Client: Infraestructures de la Generalitat de Catalunya
- End of construction: 2015
- Budget: 21.4 M€
- Works done: Structure project and construction management
- Awards: XIV CEMEX Building Award 2015, Finalist in the category Infrastructure and Urbanism. IV ACE Awards, Best structure in 2017
- Publications: Manuel Reventós Rovira & Jaume Guàrdia Tomàs (2018). Construction of the Nelson Mandela Bridge in Barcelona, Structural Engineering International, DOI: 10.1080/10168664.2018.1453761